There are several methods available to the consumer to consider when trying to get out of debt. These methods are:
· Try and manage their current debt themselves – in other words tighten their belt and spending habits.
· Debt consolidation loan – this would combine all outstanding unsecured debt into a single payment loan. The problem is can the consumer qualify for a new loan with no job or financial hardship issue.
· Refinance or Home Equity loan – This might work, if the consumer has enough equity in their home, however the repayment may be an issue.
· Credit counseling service – This program acts like a debt consolidation loan. The consumer pays a third party company who in turns pays a small or set percent each month to the lenders until all the balances are pay off. In addition, there is credit counseling for the debtor and this will also have an affect on your credit score.
· Bankruptcy – This is the most serious and the final step that a consumer should consider. The consumer needs to discuss with an attorney all facets of bankruptcy since it will cover all debts, both secured and unsecured.
· Debt settlement – This is a program by which a third party negotiates with the lender in order to reduce the outstanding balances on unsecured credit cards.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.